Door Hinges Continued

What a wonderful week. On Saturday evening September 8th went to a charity car show
in Kingman for the Hospice. the show was put on by a local group called the Drifters. Nice set up, lots of nice looking cars, and friendly people. It rained for most of the show which didn't thrill us at all, but in the end we won another plaque for the Starliner

Spent another day on door hinges and latches had to inset the latch pins on the door posts and make shims to make them adjustable as the latch assemblies are not adjustable.



With the engine, dash, and drivers seat bolted back in the car I had Karen sit in the seat and adjusted the new Flaming River Tilt steering Column to its permanent position and check the clearance for the u joints and shaft to the rack & pinion with the exhaust header and motor mount.

I marked the location of the column, removed it then cut, fit and welded new plates in the firewall to accept the new I-Ball floor column mount. After grinding, with a rotary file to make the hole oblong for the column I marked drilled and welded nuts on the inside of the fire wall and installed the floor mount.

With the column bolted in place the steering shaft was measured, cut and installed. It all worked out good with a 1/4" clearance witht he motor mount and minor angle on the u-joints.




Next I cut down the height of the brake pedal as it was too high from the floor board and made the adjustable linkage shaft from the pedal mount to the underfloor power brake unit.



I put the rear seat bottom, that had been altered to fit around the floor board blisters, and bolted the rear seat back into place. They also had to be cut and new frame pieces made to tfit the floor board. The wrap-a-round wing of the seat back stuck out into the door opening too far so I cut and moved the top frame back 6" and changed the angle of the seat frame.
All of the springs and spring supports had to be cut down and reattached. I extended the frame work at the bottom of the seat around the wheel well so the seat cover material could be pulled all the way back and completely cover the bottom sides of the back seat.


Seat Frame modifications took 4 days of work. The engine, steering, seats, doors and dash was removed and I am ready to put the body & frame back on the "auto-twirler" to finish the wheel well blisters for the suicide hingers.

while I was working on the back seat I cut and fitted the T-bird sheet metal that fits around the top & corners of the back seat and package rack area of the back window it also holds the center arm rest.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I noticed your comment about door hinges. I am now offering a repair service for old street rod hinges. Visit my site at www.vintageautotruckhingerepair.com If I can help you ar any of your buddies.

Popular posts from this blog

PRESCOTT CAR SHOW