60 EDSEL STATION WAGON

This is an update on the 1960 Edsel station wagon project that was started in 2008.
The engine was removed , striped down to the block and heads and taken to Baileys machine shop in Mesa AZ near Phoenix.

 While the engine was being rebuilt I started to assemble the rest of the car to see what parts were missing.
 The tailgate was missing the inside cover (above) and a new one fabricated and installed (below) along with the chrome strips.
 The rear chrome, latch and handle were there and worked, but the shoulder bolts that support the rear hatch had to be made on my lathe. The back up light lens are in bad shape and cracked, the station wagon lens (4) are longer than a sedan and I have not been able to find any replacements. The gravel pan is missing but one is available from Dennis Carpenter.
 All the rusty parts were sand blasted and painted using my small blaster. 
 Inner-fenders had been blasted and primed but sat around so long that they rusted through the paint and had to be redone.
 The front radiator, head light and hood latch support after blasting and painting. The hood latch assembly that bolts to this support had been damaged then badly repaired so I had to take it off the parts car.
 The rebuilt engine came back, painted and all the parts bolted on with new transmission cooling lines made.
 Engine going back in the car with a beer to celebrate.
 All the engine components were bead blasted in my cabinet and painted, exhaust manifolds have high temp paint on them.
The surge tank on top and the fan were badly damaged and replaced. I found the tank on Craig's list and the fan on E Bay both in L.A. I made a new fuel line to the carburetor and rebuilt the power steering pump.
 All new hoses and belts were bought and the generator rebuilt. I used the old distributor cap, rotor and spark plug wires as they were in good shape with new spark plugs.
 A new fuel pump and water pump purchased and installed.
 I found a exhaust system on E Bay that is an exact replica of the original. The same company that made the Hudson exhaust system for me.
 It fit just like the stock one.
 Even over the rear axle then out side the frame with the muffler hung from the original hanger.

Next the rest of the body, chrome and bumpers will go on and I will get the engine running.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PRESCOTT CAR SHOW