The 1950 Ford 2 Door Project

I started a new project to keep me busy through the winter months a 1950 Ford 2. Door. I have had 2 1950 2 doors for 18 years; that were purchased in No. California from an auction in Santa Rosa, that ran with a flat head V8 but some of the parts were missing. On the one from San Jose with a flat had 6 that did not run and was hit in the back but all the parts were there.
I pulled the flat head V 8 out of the better of the 2 cars, and the front suspension with the intention of installing the suspension, 9" rear end and 302 V8 that came out the 51 4 dr.
After some investigation and layout I found that there were improvements made in the 1951 frame and the 302 engine hit the front cross member so I decided to use the original 51 frame that came from the 4 dr that had been cut up badly at the front cross member. I could repair and box so I pulled it out of the field where it has sat for 10 years or so and stripped all the parts off it.
The small sand blaster was acquired by trading some parts and worked well in sand blasting the frame on the concrete in front of the shop where I was able to sweep up the sand, run it through a screen and reuse it 3 times.
My neighbor had given me a 3" x 2" x 3/16 wall box tube that I "V" notched and formed to the shape of the front cross member welded it up by clamping it in place and welded into the cross member.
My son-in-law gave me several very nice clean pieces of 8" wide x .090 thick plate that was used in boxing and repairing the front and 3rd cross members. I made patterns out of cardboard then cut the plate on the band saw and ground the edges to fit, the 5 plates for the front and 2 for the back were welded and bent into place with the welds ground for a finished look.
This 2 part epoxy chassis paint came from Summit Racing and 2 coats were applied to the frame.
The front suspension was bolted on and the rack and pinion steering was fit, new brackets made and welded in place.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PRESCOTT CAR SHOW